Backup progress halts at 76% or 77% ?

USB Image Tool support forum
Josbur

Backup progress halts at 76% or 77% ?

Post by Josbur »

I just found this program and it seems like a simple but powerful tool for doing what you want, great work :)

However when i set out to clone my bootable Linux USB, i ran into this problem. I start creating a backup (in windows 7), everything seems fine. But when it reaches 76% it just gets stuck there. I tried it several times, and one time it stuck at 77%, every other time it was 76%. I have no idea what the problem could be since the software does not give any error. When checking the filesystem on the USB stick in Linux it all checks out fine.

What could be the problem here? I may add that i used a 64gb stick and saved the image to an external USB HD with plenty of space. The OS disk had only 20 or so gb free. If this makes any difference... Any thoughts on what could cause this? Im a bit reluctant to try the backup too many times, since im cloning the stick out of fear that it may die on me, and i have some important stuff on there...

Any suggestions very welcome!

Thanks
Alex
Site Admin

Re: Backup progress halts at 76% or 77% ?

Post by Alex »

Did you use compression (imz or img.gz)? If so, could you try without? Have you tried it on a different computer/hard disk?
Josbur

Post by Josbur »

That's a very fast response considering you're the developer, im even more impressed :)

I did not use compression at all, since i wanted to be as careful as i could to make sure the backup of this USB drive was as accurate and safe as possible.

I did have the chance to try the procedure on a different system some days ago though! This was a Win 8, 64 bit system with USB 3 support. My usual system is a Win 7, 32 bit, with USB 2. On this other computer, my backup progress reached 76%, then the process just shut down, no message shown (if i remember correctly, sadly i was in a hurry). However, this time it produced a .img file (it was 76% of the size of the USB drive though, around 47gb). I did not have the time to try to restore that image to a new drive though, but im hoping to get the chance to try that soon...

Not wanting to stress the device too much i did not try to do any more backups of it until i felt more confident i had found the reason why it wouldn't backup. I have still used it for some days without any problems...Today however, the drive i have been trying to backup, failed :| It didn't die completely, it still boots OK, but when accessing the larger encrypted partition of the drive, it becomes unresponsive. When trying to access the drive from a system that is not booted from the USB drive in question, the device shows up in the list of drives, but when the encrypted volume is accessed, the whole drive fails completely and the device disappears from the list of drives...

Im guessing it is corrupted now, but i still wonder how i can make an image of it... Even if it is corrupt, i would like to have an image before i try the rescue tools, to avoid screwing it up even more... Any ideas?

Im going to try to backup the drive that was planned to be the host of the restoration now (identical USB stick) to see what happens. It has the same OS but not the same encrypted volume. Any ideas are very welcome, i would really need to access the drive i was originally trying to backup :|

I should have seen this coming, i know. But i really didn't think it was this far gone since all the benchmarks and disk checks etc. have found no problems what so ever...
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Seems something fails on a hardware level. Possibly the device is going to be defecive soon. Making a backup would indeed be a good idea. If USB Image Tool fails to read the defective parts on the drive, there is a high chance that other programs will fail on this task as well. I would try CloneZilla to create a image of the device. Maybe this could help.