Could not access the image file (Code0)!

USB Image Tool support forum
Thomas2

Could not access the image file (Code0)!

Post by Thomas2 »

We support several old DOS based systems using FDDs which are becoming scarce. The DOS version is from the 90's (v3.21)

Recently, one of my colleagues found a 'Gotek' brand FDD Emulator that uses a USB flash drive; Gotek has worked very well to extend the life of these old products. A free ware program (FloppyImage152) is used to create .img files of the bootable floppy programs before using USBit164 to apply the image to a USB.

For my product, three of four floppy programs work without issue. The forth gives the error in the subject line when using USBit164. I've tried new source disks and made a new source disks from file. I've tried an older version of USBit as well. The source floppy disks run without issue on a system with FDD.

The problem .img contains 100% of the files of another working variant plus one additional file. Most file attributes are identical between the two.

The floppy disks also contain a .zipped archive I surmise required to fit on 1.44MB floppy disk. The floppy uses 1.36MB of space with 22.5kB of free space. We've tried removing the zipped archive before creating the .img (planning to add the zip file back to the USB) but the same error occurs when using USBit.

I've read through the FAQs and searched the forum for clues about Code 0. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Alex
Site Admin

Re: Could not access the image file (Code0)!

Post by Alex »

I'm not exactly sure, what the problem is. Maybe you can answer some question to narrow down the problem.

Do you get the Code 0 during the restore procedure, when you write the image to the flash drive used for floppy emulation?
Do you get the error code at the beginning or end or during the process?
What's the exact size of the uncompressed image file (in bytes)?
Does it happen with different flash drives?
Can you provide a sample of that image file for me to recreate that problem?
Thomas2

Post by Thomas2 »

Thank you for your reply. We get the Code 0 error when attempting to restoring the .img file to USB using USBit.

I've formatted the USB as FAT and even tried FAT32.

I've tried multiple USBs and multiple sources of program floppy disks. We recreated the program floppy from file several times. The floppy disks never fail to work with a FDD. The good bootable floppy disk has 27.5kB free space and the problem one has only 22.5kB. To remaining two floppy disks are small program with >1.01MB free space and these are without issue.

All four .img files made from the four variants of the bootable 1.44MB floppy disks show 1,441 KB size as file attribute (i.e., the three that work and the one that doesn't).

I've tried on Win7-64bit OS, 'XP virtual machine and a separate Win-'XP PC. For Win7 I can't make the image files (no FDD support) rather move the .img over and tried USBit on Win7.

I also tried making and restoring [compressed] .imz files without change of symptom.

I looked for a way to attached a screen shot of the files on the floppy but gather I don't have this permission on this board. Can you find my e-mail (from my registration) and advise where to send... or post an address or Dropbox link? I rather not post my company e-mail address to this public site.

If you would like, I can even send you the source files to make the bootable floppy disk. I think this version of DOS goes back to late 80s not early 90s. Thank you in advance. Best regards, Tom
aron11

Post by aron11 »

So load the application up various times, and then select each independent drive manually?