Image of Corrupt USB Flash Drive

USB Image Tool support forum
JJ1

Image of Corrupt USB Flash Drive

Post by JJ1 »

I have a corrupted 8 GB flash drive with a ruined boot sector and file allocation table from which I'd like to copy and save the contents, if possible. If I make an image with this tool using volume copy and put it on a 16 GB flash drive I have, do I have a possibility of getting my files all back, as they were before the drive became corrupted? (I've already used a data recovery software to recover all I can, but there are things that are no longer found in their proper folders. I'm not sure if it's possible after it lost the boot sector, but I was hoping...). I don't want it to ruin the 16 GB drive, too. Also, can I check the files on the new drive or how do I open them? And can I then reformat the first (corrupted) drive and transfer the image back to it? I don't have enough GB left on my computer to transfer it there. I have another 16 GB flash drive which I could possibly empty if I have to and transfer the image there first if the image needs to be transferred in order to open (I'm not quite sure how this works). Any advice? Thank you in advance.
Alex
Site Admin

Re: Image of Corrupt USB Flash Drive

Post by Alex »

If you already used data recovery software, making a backup of the volume won't restore more files, than the recovery software already did. Writing the corrupted image to another flash drive won't repair the FAT, if it is broken, because it is part of the volume image.
JJ1

Post by JJ1 »

Hmmm, okay. Thanks for reply. I didn't expect it to repair the FAT, I just wondered if this would save it in better order, without also showing things that had already been deleted (although, of course, I HAD been hoping it would show EVERYTHING). I hate to reformat the drive without trying anything possible. Even if it can't restore everything, could it still possibly restore it at so all the folders that remain will at least show on a flash drive that has a boot sector so I can see them and get to them there, as when the original drive was working, like they show on the data recovery software? - even if the missing pieces are still missing? Or will it be rather a waste of time and better to just use the recovery software again and transfer them to the 16 GB drive from there? (I used Easeus and 7-data recovery, both of which show all the folders apparently left findable, but which both also seem to have a lot of doubles, or things that were apparently already deleted off the drive and corrupted since being overwritten) The flash drive was almost brand new, and I was using it to copy (cut and paste) everything I wanted off my old PC (98SE) that needed to be reformatted itself, when the computer restarted in the middle, ruining the disk, so I imagine it would work fine, minus its contents, when reformatted, but I don't want to do it until I'm sure I have no more options.
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

I guess, your best chance is still the recovery software.
JJ1

Post by JJ1 »

I see. OK. It's a bit disappointing, but thanks, Alex.