MD5 verification and command line

USB Image Tool support forum
marcodip

MD5 verification and command line

Post by marcodip »

Hi Alex,
thank you for your useful tool.
I am using the command line version and I would like to save the progress percentage to a text file. Is it possible?

I am trying the MD5 feature, but I can't understand how to verify the restored USB device using the MD5 checksum created during the backup procedure.
Alex
Site Admin

Re: MD5 verification and command line

Post by Alex »

You could try to pipe the command line output into a textfile using the regular commands (usbitcmd [...] > mytextfile.txt), but I'm not sure about the percentage, that is updated. Maybe this won't work. I haven't tried out that myself.

The MD5 feature is intended as an easy way to create it with the image file to provide it for download purposes. There is no checking against the MD5 hash during Restore. For that no MD5 hash file would be needed, because it could be made directly against the backup file during the process.
marcodip

Post by marcodip »

Hi Alex, thank you for your reply.
I cannot output the progress percentage to a txt file piping the command, it seems the output is saved only when the whole procedure is completed. Can you add a "save progress to file" feature to the FRL?

Please, can you explain me how "it could be made directly against the backup file during the process"?
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

You wouldn't need the MD5 hash for the verification, because you can verify the written flash drive bytewise against the image file, after the backup is complete. I will have to check the text file output for the next version.
marcodip

Post by marcodip »

ok thanks
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

implemented with version 1.60 (command line tool)
marcodip

Post by marcodip »

Hi Alex, thanks so much for implementing the scroll feature. Anyway, it seems the output file is updated only when the clone procedure is completed.
I'm using this command:
usbitcmd.exe r 3 image_file.imz /d /c /h /s > log.txt

Am I missing anything?
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

You're rigth, unfortunately it seems, that it's not working correctly. I have to check & fix that.
marcodip

Post by marcodip »

ok, thank you
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

I did some more research on piping the output. By default, the output file is write-only and can't be accessed until the writing process has finished. Some workarounds are described here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7964 ... -to-a-file