Could not access the USB device (Code:0)

USB Image Tool support forum
pippo1959

Could not access the USB device (Code:0)

Post by pippo1959 »

as shown in subject...
when i try to restore an image i receive always this message [Could not access the USB device (Code:0)] even if the usb memory is working perfectly...
tried with different memories...
using windows 7 pro 32 bits.

any suggestion ?
Alex
Site Admin

Re: Could not access the USB device (Code:0)

Post by Alex »

Please check, that there are no open explorer windows showing the flash device and that there is not anti-virus currently scanning the device. In most cases, that is the reason. However, the Code should be 5 then, not 0.
skynet

Post by skynet »

Alex, you should put this into your FAQ page:

Before beginning to restore images, open Microsoft Management Console (Start menu/run compmgmt.msc) and go to Storage, then Disk management (local), and remove the drive letter for the USB you want to restore.

After finishing restoring, add a drive letter again in the above-mentioned place.
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Having a drive letter assigned shouldn't be the problem. Mostly it's open explorer windows. I guess I will extend the error message with the next version.
newuser9999

Post by newuser9999 »

I was having this problem and Skynet's suggestion (delete drive letter) resolved the problem. Thank you.
faris

Post by faris »

Is it possible to write a USB image to many drives e.g. connected to a Hub rather than just one singular device at a time?
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

I'm working in a Pro version, that can do this. Other users used a batch file and a command line utility to do this, so that might be an option for you as well.
lemonespatos2

Post by lemonespatos2 »

hello this happens to me too but with a micro sd memory and removing the drive letter does not work for me should i use a usb adapter? or something like that?