Command line progress

USB Image Tool support forum
quantum1976

Command line progress

Post by quantum1976 »

First let me say that this is a great tool, very flexible.

I wanted to create my own UI based imaging tool to perform some of the custom tasks I require. To do this I used the command line version of USB Image Tool (usbitcmd.exe). My plan is to use a HTA/VBScript program to launch the command line version and then capture the output to update a progress bar.

Code: Select all

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
	Set oExec = WshShell.Exec("usbitcmd.exe r 2440 usb.img /i /d")
	Do While oExec.Status = 0
		strTempLine = oExec.stdout.readline
		if instr(strTempLine, "%") > 0 then
			intCurrentProg = cint(mid(strTempLine, instr(strTempLine, "%") - 3, 3))
			progressBar.Value = intCurrentProg
		end if		
	Loop
I've used this method with other command line tools (ImageX) and it works fine. The problem I'm having is that I don't see any of the output from usbitcmd.exe until after it completes imaging. To test this I launched it from a console window and redirected the output to a text file (usbitcmd.exe r 2440 usb.img /i /d > stdout.txt). When I run this, the text file remains empty until after the imaging completes.

Is there any way I can capture the imaging progress while it is running to show the user how much is left?

Thanks,

Rich
Alex
Site Admin

Re: Command line progress

Post by Alex »

Hm, never tested that myself. I'm using plain C printf command for output here + SetConsoleCursorPosition. Don't know if it has anything to do with that. Also I'm not sure with the output piping. Maybe the file is locked until the usbitcmd.exe process finished.
quantum1976

Post by quantum1976 »

Thanks for the quick reply. I did a little checking and it seems that the output can't be redirected until a carriage return and/or line feed is sent.

Would it be possible to update the program to add another optional parameter that would scroll the output by adding a carriage return-line feed to each percentage update?

The Microsoft Imagex program (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... s.10).aspx) that I referred to earlier does this. The /scroll optional parameter (e.g. Images /apply /scroll) does this so the progress can be redirected to another program.

Thanks,
Rich
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Thanks for checking that. I think I can implement it with the next version.
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

implemented with version 1.60 (command line tool)