Backing up a phone memory card

USB Image Tool support forum
Mr Wolf

Backing up a phone memory card

Post by Mr Wolf »

Hi to all!
I want to make a full backup of the memory card (MicroSDHC) of my phone (a Nokia N82), on which applications are installed, just in case I have a problem and have to format the memory card (as it actually happened some times ago :evil: ).
So, will it be possible with USB Image Tool to make such a backup, which I can restore, even on a different (even if of the same size) memory card?
If I just copy and paste all the files from a memory card to another one, if I'm not wrong, the phone should recognize a different memory card and applications for some reason won't work
So, a "device mode" backup will work, if restored on a different memory card?

Many thanks for your help!
Alex
Site Admin

Re: Backing up a phone memory card

Post by Alex »

Well, I wouldn't be sure this will work with the device mode backup as well. As long the phone recognizes the new SD card, which it still can (serial number, etc.), there might be a chance that, your applications won't run. Restoring to a smaller memory card will come with some other issues, as described in the FAQ.
Mr Wolf

Post by Mr Wolf »

Thanks for your answer.
As a precaution, I've made and will keep a backup. :)

EDIT:
I made a backup of a memory card of 8 GB in device mode, then I tried to restore it to a different memory card of 8 GB, but it says that "The image file is too large for the selected USB device!". :|
Actually, in spite of they are both nominally of 8 GB, their sizes are slightly different.
crystal777

Post by crystal777 »

Hi, I come from Vietnam, and my English language is not good. But let me ask my problem,thank you.

I used Usb Image Tool to back up my memory card Microsd 4gb, then I restore image to 8gb memory card. It worked. But now, my phone and computer recognize 8gb memory card is 4gb card, and I can't understand . Why my card "lost" it's real storage?!

I formated card, it's will return 8gb. But I need to burn Image to this 8gb card,because I can't copy file from 4gb card to 8gb card and make sure my phone's application still work.

Please help me,thank you very much!

My mail is: huuphuoc777@yahoo.com
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

As described in the FAQ, USB Image Tool won't increase your partition size on the new SD card (USB Image Tool doesn't really care for partitions in device mode). A 4Gb partition will remain a 4 Gb partition on an 8Gb SD card. There might be tools like GParted, that may be able to extend your partition to a new size.
jonnblaze

Post by jonnblaze »

help me
will it be possible with USB Image Tool to make such a backup, which I can restore, even on a different (even if of the same size) memory card?????? :?: