Expanded support similar software?

USB Image Tool support forum
apprenticemart2

Expanded support similar software?

Post by apprenticemart2 »

Hi,
I have a compact flash card with data for my Simmons SDX drum machine on it. I need to know if it's possible to copy sector by sector from an alien format and store it to an image for backup purposes and then write it back to a compact flash card if anything goes wrong. The flash card does not show up in windows. USB image gives me I/O errors with this card, and if I use a Fat formatted compact flash card for testing USB image to see if it could work at all, before the image has been created I get a sector requested could not be found message. I have looked at dd and raw write etc but they either don't work in this case or they are just too complicated for me to use.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Martin
Alex
Site Admin

Re: Expanded support similar software?

Post by Alex »

To access the flash drive, it has to appear in the computer management (in control panel) as a valid drive. If it is not formatted, it should still appear there. USB Image Tool also lists devices, that are not FAT/NTFS formatted, when started in device mode.
apprenticemart2

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Maybe I need to try a dedicated Compact flash card reader and not a multicard one. If I try to backup a formatted card, it fails before completion. And if I try to backup the card that I really want to copy it hangs for a while and then fails. I can see the drive appearing in the control panel as a generic storage device USB under Disk Drives/usb controllers.

Thanks for your help
Martin
apprenticemart2

Hi Alex,
I am now using a dedicated USB Compact Flash card reader (there is only one slot for a CF card and nothing else) it's branded as 'Integral' and works perfectly now with USB Image Tool.
Thanks
Martin