.NET error at startup

USB Image Tool support forum
john.goley

.NET error at startup

Post by john.goley »

Alex

I am wanting to clone a 2GB bootable usb thumb drive that has the full intall of XP Pro SP3 to another 2 GB usb thumb drive. I searched the web and found your USB image tool and downloaded it. When I start the "USB Image Tool.exe" I get a .NET Framework initialization Error. it says "Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application." I had both the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and .NET Framework 4 Extended. I uninstalled both and downloaded from MS the full intall of .NET 4.0, installed and got all the latest critical updates for .NET from MS update and I get the same error. What am I missing?

I have found nothing in the FAQ or in the Forum topics that seem to address my issue. If they are there I'm sorry to ask again but I could not find anything.

John
john.goley

Re: .NET error at startup

Post by john.goley »

Alex

I think I may have found what is the problem. I missed it in the forum because it was in German, which I don't understand. But I used Google translate and it seem your usb tool only works with .NET 3.5 SP1.

Can .NET 3.5 and 4 coexist on th same XP computer?

John
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Yes, .Net 3.5 is required. 4.0 and 3.5 can co-exist on a computer, they do it on my own PC as well.
john.goley

Post by john.goley »

Well, I found out that .Net 4 and .Net 3.5 SP1 can coexist just fine. Then the USB image tool worked just fine. Imaged the bootable 2 gb USB thumb drive and tried to restore it to the other 2 gb USB thumb drive. got some weird error. Now what!? Then just fomated the 2nd USB thumb drive and the restore worked fine. Now I have an extra USB stick that can install XP Pro SP3 on my laptop if the HDD drive dies again. ARRRRRGGGGGG. Oh yes, my cd/dvd drive has died. that is why I needed the USB stick to intall XP Pro.

Thanks Alex for a very nice tool!

John