Failure to restore Size issue

USB Image Tool support forum
Ron_Stordahl

Failure to restore Size issue

Post by Ron_Stordahl »

I have always used the .img.gz format to backup and then to successfully restore to one of many Kingston 16GB DataTraveler SE9 flash drives.

Recently by chance I simply selected the .img format, i.e. not compressed, and when restoring the image to another identical DataTraveler SE9 flash drive, I got an immediate error that the destination flash drive was too small.

I then inserted the original source drive and imaged to the .img.gz format, and then successfully restored to previously noted flash drive which had failed.

So just to make it clear the source and destination flash drives are all identical Kingston 16GB DataTraveler SE9's.

So this was a bit of a surprise, the workaround is to use the compressed format.
Alex
Site Admin

Re: Failure to restore Size issue

Post by Alex »

Because of gz file format limitions, the size check will not work properly on gz compressed image files. The file format was not designed for file sizes > 4 GiB. If the target device is too small for the raw image, compressing the file might overcome the warning message (which you can also disable in the options), but still might loose data or have a corrupted destination flash drive.
Soleya

Re: Failure to restore Size issue

Post by Soleya »

Alex wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:05 pm Because of gz file format limitions, the size check will not work properly on gz compressed image files. The file format was not designed for file sizes > 4 GiB. If the target device is too small for the raw image, compressing the file might overcome the warning message (which you can also disable in the options), but still might loose data or have a corrupted destination flash drive.
Alex, Thanks for this answer! I had the same issue!