[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4694: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
www.alexpage.de • View topic - USB with Hypervisor ESXi 5.1 image

USB with Hypervisor ESXi 5.1 image

USB Image Tool support forum

USB with Hypervisor ESXi 5.1 image

Postby flaviog2005 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:09 am

I have four servers running VMWare 5.5
I'm studing cloud.
I'd like to backup the USB pen drive, which contains configuration and other data related to the VMWare host.
Here follows data about data storage

FD01: \\?\usbstor#disk&ven_kingston&prod_datatraveler_2.0&rev_pmap#50e549c695a9bd4089410930&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}
FD02: Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 USB Device
FD04: Device ID is USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_KINGSTON&PROD_DATATRAVELER_2.0&REV_PMAP\50E549C695A9BD4089410930&0
FD05: Media Type is 11
FD06: Location DataTraveler 2.0
FD07: Hardware ID USB\Vid_0951&Pid_1665&Rev_0100
FD08: Device Number is 2
FD09: FOUND!

Each server has 'hyperisor image saved on 16GB pen drive
The servers are operating normally
I used your sightseeing program for backing

I can not explain why, with 2 USB pen drive, I was able to do the backup, but with other 2 did not succeed. It appears "cyclic redundancy error"
Ideas?

yet the pen drives work. The proof is that the server turns on, reads data from the pen drive and it works
Any help will be appreciated :)
flaviog2005

Re: USB with Hypervisor ESXi 5.1 image

Postby Alex » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:55 pm

The protocol is just logging the device detection.

I don't have experience with VMWare Hypervisor myself, but I know that other people tried to use USB Image Tool for that purpose. Maybe Google has some hits when searching for USB Image Tool and VMWare ESX.

Theoretically, the image should be a 1:1 byte copy of the USB drive.
Alex
Site Admin

Postby KingTutt » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:50 pm

KingTutt

Postby Alex » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:37 pm

Thanks for reporting that link. I will try to figure out what happens here with the partition numbering. Intentionally USB Image Tool doesn't touch partitions in device mode, it's operating on the whole device as provided by Windows API. Maybe there are some side effects, that come into effect here. I will try to recreate the issue with multiple partitions on a SD Card.
Alex
Site Admin

Postby KingTutt » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:49 am

Let me know if you need additional informations.
I used Win 7 64Bit version on a Lenovo X201 (which is still BIOS driven). Maybe that is a side effect, because the sd-card uses a GPT but as far as I know Windows 7 can only boot from GPT disk on a UEFI system. For sure I did not try to boot (I just wanted to clone the sd-card) but maybe the combination of BIOS / GPT raises some problems? I'm no expert in that...

PS: Googling how to clone an ESXi sd-card shows up some more threads in which users are struggling with the same issue:
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/504463-esx-vsphere-usb-boot-stick?page=1#entry-3368881
http://www.y-m-e.net/2014/06/vmware-esxi-5-5-image-fuer-pc-engines-apu1c-und-apu1c4/
KingTutt

Postby KingTutt » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi Alex,

did you have time to investigate into that issue or are there any other new informations?
If I remember correctly you mentioned that you wanted to figure out, what is going wrong with the GPT numbering when when performing 1:1 byte copy.
KingTutt

Postby Alex » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:28 pm

While searching the internet for USB Image Tool use cases, I found a possible reason/solution for that issue. It could be, that a backup GUID partition table at the end of the flash drive interferes with the new image. This might happen, when you restore a smaller image to a larger flash drive. Next option of USB Image Tool will contain an option to fill the remaining bytes if the new flash drive with zeroes. Current option would (possibly) be to do a full re-format of the flash drive (no quick format) and then restore the image.

https://www.thomas-krenn.com/de/wiki/VMware_vSphere_ESXi_USB-Stick_klonen

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2012022

Update (2017-07-31): Version 1.74 adresses this with a new option "Initialize remaining space after restore".
Alex
Site Admin

Postby KingTutt » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:49 pm

KingTutt

Postby Alex » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:48 pm

It sounds definitely like this could be the reason for that behaviour. I had similar issues with locking and Windows modifying the device before verification could take place (http://www.alexpage.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=526).

The new option from version might prevent an old backup GPT from directly at the end of the device will interfere with the new image after restore, but if Windows tries to repair the new GPT which could be at any position on the new device and messes up partition numbering, it will become tricky. I would have to make sure there is a valid backup GPT at the end of the device after each restore. Until now I tried not to modify the device except plain writing of the image. Looks like I'll have to investigate the GPT format more in detail see what I can do about that behaviour. Maybe it's an option to duplicate the master GPT at the end of the device.

Thanks for the detailed evaluation!
Alex
Site Admin

Postby KingTutt » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:30 pm

KingTutt

Next

Return to USB Image Tool