difference of backup source

USB Image Tool support forum
dolby

difference of backup source

Post by dolby »

Hi.
I have made windows 8.1 to go bootable over an external HD.
there ars 2 partitions: 1) 350M with the system files- fat 32 , 2) drive "c" with the ~30Gb ntfs partition.

I have created a 3rd partition in which I have saved the image of the 2nd partition only
which I have created in the volume mode.

when I copy the image file to an intenal hd of my computer and performing a restore procedure via
the volume mode to the 2ns partition - the external hd boots correctly with the wn 8.1 .
when I try to restore from the 3rd partition of the external HD to the 2nd , the 2nd drive becomes RAW instead of ntfs and the windows crashes.

what could be the the difference between the 2 methods ?
eventually I am trying to restore a partition of the external HD with an image which is located on the same HD but in a different partition.

Thank You

Yaron
Alex
Site Admin

Re: difference of backup source

Post by Alex »

How do you have created the image of the 2nd partition on the 3rd partition? Is it just a file, stored on the file system of the 3rd partition?
when I try to restore from the 3rd partition of the external HD to the 2nd , the 2nd drive becomes RAW instead of ntfs and the windows crashes.
I don't understand that part. How ist it different to
when I copy the image file to an intenal hd of my computer and performing a restore procedure via
the volume mode to the 2ns partition - the external hd boots correctly with the wn 8.1 .
?