Same size - The image file is too large for the selected USB

USB Image Tool support forum
Rhuobhe

Same size - The image file is too large for the selected USB

Post by Rhuobhe »

Hello,

I recently began using this tool to create backups of USB recovery drives for my business. However, I ran into an issue where I could not restore the image to a USB drive of the same size (16 GB). Could anyone explain to me why this happens and how to mitigate it (I already read the general FAQ and I am taking the risk of truncating to move forward).

Operation:
The recovery image was created on a 16 GB USB 2.0 drive. Using the USB Image Tool, I backed up the image to an external hard drive. I then restored the image using the tool to another 16 GB USB 2.0 drive (different manufacturer).

Could it be that the byte allocation size has to be a certain way or the user-defined buffer size in the options? Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
asalazar51

Re: Same size - The image file is too large for the selected

Post by asalazar51 »

I'm having issues with this as well... any updates?
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

There is the truncate option, but without a shortened partition this can result in data loss/invalid partition data.

A solution could be:

- mount the longer image with OSFMount
- shorten the image on the mounted device using Minitool Partition Wizard Home
- use USB Image Tool with the truncate option
laughingboy

Post by laughingboy »

I ran into same problem and found that cleaning the destination USB stick solved the problem. to clean do the following.
open a command prompt then execute the following 5 commands

diskpart
list disk
select disk (from the resulting list place the number of the disk you want to clean)
clean
exit