Useless USB stick after backup

USB Image Tool support forum
trancedman

Useless USB stick after backup

Post by trancedman »

Alex, please give us a solution to unlock the USB Stick, to be able to use it. I can't format it, restore, reset, ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What did your software do to my USB Stick??? Please give us a solution to unlock the stick to be able to use it afterwards !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alex
Site Admin

Re: USELESS USB STICK AFTER BACKUP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Alex »

Just reset it with the tool. Then unplug it. Plug it in again. A format dialog should appear automatically. If not, right-click it in the exporer window and choose format.

Btw: No reason to scream. My software didn't do anything to your stick. If you don't like it, go away. Don't use it.
trancedman

Re: Useless USB stick after backup

Post by trancedman »

I have tried EVERYTHING. Nothing seems to work. That's why I'm "screaming". USB Image Tool gives me errors saying to close some windows and stuff. Did everything, even removed the letter from the drive. It still doesn't work. I've tried everything. What should I do?
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

First try to list all steps that led to the problem. Describe them as detailed as possible. Describe all error messages in detail.

- Does the flash drive appear in the Windows explorer, when you plug it in?
- Can you reformat it manually in Windows explorer?
- Open the Start menu and type diskmgmt.msc + ENTER. Does the flash drive appear here?
- Can you reformat it on another computer?
trancedman

Post by trancedman »

I just did a backup of my USB Stick. After that, I couldn't do anything.

1. Yes, the flash does apperar in explorer. In properties I can see all the details of the USB Stick.
2. I cannot reformat manually in explorer. This is the error I get when I want to format: "Windows was unable to complete the format"
3. Yes, I can see the drive in diskmgmt
4. I don't have a linux machine but I've tried in another windows machine and it gives me the same error.

With your tool I get this error when I try to Reset the USB Stick: "Could not write to the USB device (Code: 1117)! Please close all open explorer windows for this device. The request could bot be performed because of an I/O device error.

I have TeamViewer installed. If you want I can give you access, if that could help.
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Seems like the device got corrupted during the process. USB Image Tool does not write to the flash drive during backup.

I found some info on that error code by using Google with these keywords: flash drive 1117 i/o error

Seems that sometimes the write-protection can be enabled, when you just unplug the device without unmounting it.
I found a solution for that in German, that I translated for you.

- open the command line with cmd in the start menu
- type diskpart + ENTER
- type lis dis + ENTER
- type sel dis x + ENTER (x is your flash drive numer)
- type clean + ENTER
- type create partition primary + ENTER
- type select partition 1 + ENTER
- type format fs=FAT32 quick + ENTER
- type active + ENTER

If that's not working, please try this :
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/4214-remove-w ... e-registry
trancedman

Post by trancedman »

"The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" I am sure there is something "locked" somewhere. I am not a programmer, and I don't know what's really going on there.
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Did you get the error message for both suggestions?
trancedman

Post by trancedman »

Yes. I am now trying to reprogram the microcontroller, as this guy here suggests(http://superuser.com/questions/689439/h ... i-o-errors). I am looking for the right tool.
escription: [I:]USB Mass Storage Device(Kingston DataTraveler SE9)
Device Type: Mass Storage Device

Protocal Version: USB 2.00
Current Speed: High Speed
Max Current: 100mA

USB Device ID: VID = 0951 PID = 1689
Serial Number: 000FEAFB938CFD1197E24B93

Device Vendor: Kingston
Device Name: DataTraveler SE9
Device Revision: 0100

Manufacturer: Kingston
Product Model: DataTraveler SE9
Product Revision: 1.00

Controller Vendor: Solid State Systems
Controller Part-Number: Unknown(??) - 0xBB
trancedman

Post by trancedman »

Unfortunately I can't find anything. Well, my fauld. I should never use this kind of software. Hopefully you will find a solution to this perhaps. If not, bye bye USB Stick. Also you should warn people that this kind of stuff may happen if they use your software. That'd be a good thing, for them and for you.