Difference between "device mode" and "volume mode"?

USB Image Tool support forum
imagetoolperson

Difference between "device mode" and "volume mode"?

Post by imagetoolperson »

Does anyone know? If so, which do you think is the best choice? Thanks any help.

sorry, I did find it in the "FAQ." However am still a bit unsure. What I like to do is copy a bootable USB flash thumb drive onto my DESKTOP computer to save it as "img" file, being a backup in case the thumb drive gets lost or corrupted. The thumb drive now contains the contents of a "backup partition" that used to be on my LAPTOP computer. The idea is to plug the thumb drive into laptop computer, and using the thumb drive both to boot the laptop computer and to restore the original operating system. And that the contents of the thumb drive will be an "image" (vs just files) so that it will be able to boot the laptop machine. Thanks for reading.
Alex
Site Admin

Re: Difference between "device mode" and "volume mode"?

Post by Alex »

If the thumb drive is bootable, you have to use device mode, to have a bootable thumbstick after a restore. Only device mode saves the bootsector, that makes the thumbdrive bootable. However, I'm not sure, if this thumbstick is bootable with your laptops recovery partition. If your current thumbdrive does now, the restored image file (in device mode) should do the same on a different thumbdrive (larger or equal size).