License Question

USB Image Tool support forum
Thraxis

License Question

Post by Thraxis »

What would the requirements be if I wished to create my own program using usbit32.dll? The license.txt that comes with the software seems to encompass distributing the entire set of programs.
Alex
Site Admin

Re: License Question

Post by Alex »

The license doesn't require you to distribute all the files, but to include the license file and the copyright notice. It doesn't prohibit using the usbit32.dll, but I don't encourage people to do so. Without header files and description only the dll wouldn't help you much. I have permitted the usage of usbit32.dll in other projects. It depends on the project.
Thraxis

Post by Thraxis »

Yes I am aware of at least one project using the usbit32.dll hence my request for clarification here as they do not distribute the license file with their program.

As for the .dll the "USB Image Tool Helper.dll" along with the usbit32.dll do provide a rather nice amount of information once the Helper DLL is added as a reference in Visual Studio .NET. I was able to filter through and create a program of my own to backup and restore USB image files in a couple hours.
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

I know the Helper dll provides a lot of information and features, giving the fact it is a .net assembly. Using it in a private project is ok, if you ask before, give credits and don't try to sell it. Of course it is not an officially supported feature, so things might change in the Helper Dll without notice.